Friday, January 14, 2011

what about bob and coco?

Friday has come, bright, shiny, with a side of warm and breezy.  Pandora was in the same mood on my morning walk, so yes, Mick Jagger, you do sometimes get what you want. THANK YOU!  I got to have coffee with one of my dearest friends this morning.  We spent 2 hours catching up and catching our breath.  She's a lifeline when things are going wrong getting complicated and I need to remember it does all work itself out.  Thanks for reminding me Shelley!  You are truly a blessing in my life.

Can someone please explain what it is that draws me to Bob Ritchie?  His life and style, nothing like mine.  Nor would I want it to be.  And honey, if you're reading, NO this is not some round about way of telling you I want you to start smoking cigars, grow some long stringy hair, and ride a Harley with handle bars that are too tall.  I think you are my perfect other half just as you are!!!  But dirty secret #99 is my crush on Bob and his music.  What is it about the Bob factor that works?  I don't have a clue.  I just know it does.  Maybe Sheryl Crow does too.  She keeps singing songs with him.

While I was out walking my dogs this morning, enjoying the breeze, I spied Chanel's 2 interlocked C's gracing the back window of a small, sporty Mazda, in the form of a hot pink sticker.  I couldn't help but wonder...what would Coco think about that?  She was a trailblazing, pioneer in the fashion world, designing and wearing pants long before it was socially acceptable.  So would she approve of something once old being adopted and made young again?  Or would it rub against her natural elegance and style?  I don't know.  But I spent a good 3 houses wondering.

As you might know, my grandma passed away Wednesday night.  She really was an extraordinary woman when I think of all she managed.  Her oldest is my dad, and her youngest is only 6 weeks older than I am.  There are 3 in between the two of them, one of whom fell from a roof at 14, leaving him a quadriplegic.  So while I didn't get to spend weekends hanging out with her I always knew she loved me.  When I had 3 little kids 4 and under, she was the one who simply assured me that it was okay to be busy with your own kids.  It was just the way it worked.  And if there were people who couldn't understand, well, that was their problem not mine.  I can't tell you how many times I rested in that as I was again unable to return a call because I simply ran out of civilized hours in the day.  I am grateful she didn't have to suffer through a prolonged painful illness before joining my grandpa in heaven.  I will miss you Grandma!

And the last thing on my mind this morning?  That to me, the perfect, simple breakfast is 2 perfectly soft boiled eggs and a piece of toast.  I'm sure I eat this at least once a week and more in the winter when it's cold.  This is how you make a Perfect Soft Boiled Egg.

Put however many eggs you want in a saucepan and cover them with about 1" of water.  (That means the water is 1" higher than the eggs in the pan, which at one time in my sometimes hilarious cooking life I did not understand.)  Remove the eggs.  You really only have to do this the first time to get an idea of how much water you need in your pan.  Get out a small push pin, the kind you use on your bulletin board. and wash it.  You will use this to prick the bottom of each egg.  The bottom is the more rounded end.  Pricking the egg keeps it from cracking.  I use the same pin over and over.  I keep mine poked onto a wine cork in my cooking utensil drawer.  Bring the water to a boil (I add a dash of salt to make it boil faster).  Gently drop the eggs into the boiling water with a large spoon, and let them boil for exactly 5 minutes.  While they're boiling, grab a bowl and fill it with a few ice cubes and water.  You need some good cold water so your eggs quit cooking right away.  You also want to make your toast and coffee right now so you don't have to eat cold soft boiled eggs.  They're not so good.  When your 5 minute timer goes off remove the eggs with a large slotted spoon and dash them in the cold water.  Which is a fancy way of saying put them in there right away and only cool them long enough to just be able to handle them.  You will want to immediately use a soup spoon to sort of slice off the top 1/3 of the egg and scoop the insides into a mug or bowl. They egg whites should be cooked while the yolk will be a dreamy golden, gooey, yellow.

Put your hands up for a warm and breezy Friday!

xoxo
~S

2 comments:

  1. Interesting musings on your walk. I wonder WHAT she would say?

    So sorry to hear about your grandma...my prayers are with you and your family.

    Mmmhmm! This recipe sounds perfect for a lazy morning...I shall give it a whirl.

    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete