Wednesday, January 12, 2011

1-2-3 KO sort of day

Sometimes life gets in the way of the best laid plans.  Which is why there was no post yesterday.  Sometimes I need to sip on my Tension Tamer tea and let the day evolve since it seems to have a life force of its own.  And yesterday, rolled just that way.  News comes in 3's right?  So we should be good now.  We're plenty good grappling with yesterdays news, so please, take it easy today.  Just a little, humble request on behalf of this redhead's sanity.  Enough sniveling.

The friend I have had second longest in my entire life (hi Tricia!) had a birthday Sunday.  As usual, I mailed her a little something.  On Monday.  That's right, the day after her birthday.  Every year I resolve that next year I will be early (like she is), and I think I managed once.  I'm a work in progress.  She and I are different, but complimentary.  Her personality is a lot like my husband's and I'm like hers.  We're both happily married people which I think bodes well for our friendship.  We grew up down the street from each other and walked to and from school together from 5th grade until we graduated.  If I had grown up with a sister, I would want her to be my sister!

My fabulous friend has a cold today and so I think her equally fab husband (who happens to cook!) should make her this chicken noodle soup.  I swear it has magical cold germ butt kicking properties.  (This recipe started out as one of Paula Deen's and I'm pretty sure I didn't stray too far from the original.)

3-4 lb. chicken
3 1/2 quarts water
1 onion, peeled
1 teaspoon each of basil, oregano and thyme 
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 bay leaves
3 chicken boullion cubes

Add all these ingredients to a big soup pot and bring to a boil.  Simmer about 40 minutes until the chicken is done.  Remove the chicken, onion and bay leaves.  Throw the onion and bay leaves away.  Leave the broth in your soup pot!  When the chicken is cool enough, take off all the nasty skin, and pull the meat off the bones and chop into bite size pieces.  For the next step you'll need -

2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery with the leafy green tops
2 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles (you can use whatever pasta you like, even whole wheat!)
3 Tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup cooking sherry (optional)
3/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
I don't always use the sherry and cream, but if I want to make a more substantial soup I always use them together.  I don't like to use one without the other flavor-wise, but you might.

Bring your stock back to a boil (there should be about 3 quarts), add the carrots, and cook for 3 minutes.  Add celery and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes.  Add the egg noodles and cook according to the package directions.  When the noodles are done add the chicken, parsley, sherry and cream.  Cook for another 2 minutes and give it a taste.  Add salt and pepper to please your tastebuds.

By the way, if you don't want to throw the bones in the trash because they get disgusting and stinky, do this - put them in an old plastic grocery bag, tie the top good and tight, and put them in your freezer.  Then on trash day, put them out for the trash man!  It's a little trick I learned from my grandma.

Still searching for an easy peaceful feeling,
~S

No comments:

Post a Comment