Friday, January 7, 2011

scattergories

I am hitting the Airborne today.  I feel a cold comin' on and I am not surrendering.  Vitamin C, tea, rest, home made chicken noodle soup - these are my chosen weapons.  Wish me luck!

Last night I watched the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.  And it was all by accident. Or fate.  However you choose to go about things.  One of those beautiful moments in time that are just a gift.  We had gone sledding, in our local mountains, yesterday and were good and tired when we got home. So I heated up some spiced apple cider and plopped down on the sofa, remote in hand.  Veering quickly away from MTV2 that the box was left on, I landed upon Sarah Palin's Alaska show.  I knew of it, but had never watched.  The woman grated on my last nerve during the election.  But in the instant I stopped there was Kate Gosselin on Sarah's little wilderness show.  In the rain, camping, crabbing up a storm.  And there was Sarah, rolling her eyes about it all.  Oh my.  I couldn't help myself.  So help me, it was unintentionally, wholly, absorbingly hilarious.  It helps that I'm not a big Kate fan either.  Didn't watch when she had John, and don't watch whatever she's doing now.  But there is something to be said for her I suppose, that ol' Kate wound up in our collective consciousness.  Even my boys know who she is.  So anyhow, that's what precipitated my cold.  That and hanging out with a couple people who have colds.  I'm sure that had absolutely nothing to do with it.  Nothing.

Our local, national chain grocery store, Albertsons, is closing down either this month or next.  It is right around the corner from us and the first major intersection.  I read about it on facebook last night.  And got a phone call from my sister-in-law who heard it from a friend, who, heard it from a friend who, heard from another you've been messing around.  Sorry, a little 1982 REO Speedwagon flashback.  It's the cold taking over.  This is big news right here in River City.  We still have our little Stater Bros. and the Target Super Store and actually there's another, newer, prettier, Albertsons just up the freeway one exit.  Which I'm sure is what killed ours.  The thing I mourn the most, however, is the little Starbucks that is inside our Albertsons.  Now I will have to travel for a latte.  Or learn to make them at home.  Which is what I'll probably do.  Because then I have one less reason to venture out. See, silver lining in absolutely everything!

Anyhow, in case you have been sledding or doing something else that is outside and cold, make this apple cider.  It will warm your very being.  BTW it's an Emeril baby, so he of course advises adding rum, which I usually don't, but I might today.  Because I have a cold.  Yeah, that's it.  Did I just admit I have a cold.  Out loud?!  You probably have most of this stuff in your house already...

1 apple
2 teaspoons whole cloves
1 orange, thinly sliced
2 quarts apple cider (that's 1/2 gallon if you have a cold like I do and can't think.  Quality makes a difference here, so if you can get your hands on some good unfiltered stuff, it's worth it!)
1/2 cup brown sugar (Emeril says light, I always only have dark in the house so I use that.)
pinch of grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice (so I'm not sure if he meant ground or whole, I use ground, but it does tend to end up at the bottom of your pot.)
1 cup dark rum
cinnamon sticks for garnish (roll your eyes here, Martha Stewart I'm not.)

Stud the apple with cloves.  Just do it.  It's easy and looks kinda cool.
In a medium pot, combine the studded apple and everything else EXCEPT the rum.  Over low heat, slowly bring it to a simmer and let it simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove it from the heat.  (WHY do recipes always say that?  Do we really not know to turn the burner off once the cooking time is over??  Maybe they need to add Home Ec. back to the required courses for junior high.)

If you have a cold and are NOT sharing with children, this is where you would add the cup of rum.  But that's a lot of cider (and rum) for one person.  And I'm usually sharing with the kids.  So you know, I'm sure you could splash a little in the bottom of your mug if it makes your skirt fly up.  And you have a cold.

And if you're feeling a little Martha you could always garnish with a cinnamon stick.  Snickering.

I'm off to buy some kleenex with lotion...some Vicks, I seriously am addicted to this stuff when I have a cold...ask my husband because he has to put up with the eau de Vicks I'll be wearing this evening when he comes home...and some stuff to make soup.  I'll give you that recipe tomorrow.  Because I'm going to feel better tomorrow.

~S

P.S.  Yes, I know it still looks like Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment