Friday, October 15, 2010

Tick tock you're almost off the clock!

Finally!
Friday afternoon has graced us with its presence.
Several times over this past week I didn't think we were going to make it to Friday without an Incident.
You know, the type that results in yellow crime tape, orange prison jumpsuits and a padded room.
But here we are.
Whew.  Good thing too.
I'm pretty sure that's a collective sigh of relief I just heard, because I am not the only one who has suffered at the hands of this wicked week.
In my little corner of the world, nothing says "Hellooo, Gorgeous Weekend" like chips, salsa and an ice-cold something to sip on.

So make some SALSA and usher in the weekend properly.

28oz. can whole tomatoes - do NOT drain this baby
2 cans(10 oz.) Rotel tomatoes and chiles - 1 mild, 1 original
1/4 red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1-2 whole jalapenos, quartered (don't cry to me if you rub your eyes, privates, etc. after you touch these because it will burn like a mother and you have been warned!)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (I like big kosher salt.  It makes me feel cool and doesn't cost much.)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bunch cilantro
juice from 1/2 lime (I think it's mighty convenient that this leaves the other lime half for drinks.)

Toss it all into your blender or food processor and pulse, don't turn it on and let it run, pulse it, 10 to 15 times for the consistency you'd like.  Take it for a spin and see if you want to adjust any of the seasonings.

Now here's my little list of salsa insider trading tips...I use one whole jalapeno, seeds and all.  Pulse it about half the number of times and taste it. You may or may not want to add part or all of the other pepper.  Their heat varies a lot, and I like mine pretty spicy.  If you are a mild sort of salsa person, who am I to judge.  Just be sure to remove the seeds and membranes to eliminate most of the jalapeno's heat in the beginning.  I'm sure you all know to rinse the cilantro and cut off the stems right?!  You can also use less than a full bunch of cilantro if you like less.  I like a lot!!!
Be sure to cut up the other half of the lime into wedges to stick in your diet Coke, Corona or whatever else goes with chips and salsa in  your mind.

Have a fantabulous weekend!!!
~S

No comments:

Post a Comment