Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Confession #43

Hello blogworld.  I've missed you.
   
Confession #43:  I don't recycle when it rains. 

Here's why - I can safely deposit trash into the outside trash bin from the (dry) doorway of my garage side door.  The recycle bin requires that I leave the comfort of being 100% dry and walk maybe 6 feet over wet concrete and under a wet dripping roof edge, unless it's actually raining, and then, well, the raindrops get me too.  I, like the Very Bad Cat Layla, don't like being wet and cold.  (I'll introduce you to VBCLayla sometime.  She's a mean girl.)

And yes, I do feel a little guilty each and every time I toss my flattened cardboard boxes, glass bottles, and recyclable plastic (no widemouthed containers please) into the trash bin.  I think this I can squarely blame on my parents.  BTW I am not a fan of parent-blaming since I am now the parent of 3 future potential blamers. While the 3 R's are very popular and PC now...Reduce, Reuse, Recycle...I had hippie parents in the 70's and we were into the big E and WC.  Ecology and Water Conservation.  We also practiced Use It Up, Wear It Out, and Make Do way before it was chic to 'shop your own closet' for a new outfit.  But I think that's mostly because my parents, having both decided a college education would be helpful, returned to school in my youth.  We were broke man.  As an adult, I have to say, it has been useful to know how to be green before it was movie star cool, and to use it up, wear it out, and make do.  But I like to call it Being Resourceful.

Got a confession you'd like to get off your chest?  I'm here for you!!!  Before you go getting all sappy and Sherri loves me, please know that I have discovered that it is way more fun than I anticipated seeing that I have a comment on here.  I know.  Kind of pitiful.  But a happy pitiful.  Which makes it a win-win sort of thing.  You feel better, I feel better.  Leave me your confessions....please?!

xoxo
~Sherri

1 comment:

  1. I too feel very guilty when I'm too lazy to put that "one" plastic water bottle in the recycle trash. It's like the world suddenly goes black and there's a swinging light bulb above my head, and there He is saying, "I saw what you did!". I've gone so far as to tilt the big trash can and reach in to dig it out. With all that guilt you'd think I was Catholic or something:)

    ReplyDelete