Friday, December 3, 2010

B is for Baja

For years and years my plan B has been Baja.  Actually, if I'm going to be honest, for a couple of years it was a dreamy plan A.  Instead of going to college/getting a respectable career/getting hitched/popping out kids I was going to fly south.  Run a little Cantina on the beach.  Until I died of melanoma from all that sun on my redheaded, freckled skin.  I was 17, so fluent I dreamt in Spanish,  and the world was surely mine to catch by the tail.  The airport at Los Cabos was still a shack and Cabo San Lucas was still a little village with dirt roads, fishing boats and surfers.  Love at first sight. 

But it didn't get off the ground.  So plan B it became.

I'm a plan B kind of person.  Not as in settling for plan B, but as a generally more fun, more exciting, more adventurous alternative to whatever plan A I'm currently running.  Keeps me sane.  Makes me smile instead of breaking out the duct tape when a kid behaves badly.  I can feel the balmy breezes across my cheeks, the sand flecked tiles under my feet, hear the whir of the blender, the pop of a bottle cap, the constant underlying beat of the mariachi music, smell the carnitas.  Ahhhh.  What's a girl to do if she can't dream here and there?

So I really wish they'd settle down in good ol' Mexico.  Quit killing each other off.  Because right now...there's not a chance I'd cross the border. It's probably why Bill's been so relaxed this past year.  He used to like telling people that there was a good chance one day he'd come to a note that said something like...the kids are at your sisters, I'm in Baja;  come join me at Sherri's Cantina...  But I'm pretty sure with the ugly wars going on down there, knowing what a 'fraidy cat I am, and that Canada is WAY too cold for me, that he knows Sherri's Cantina is right here at our breakfast bar, or weather allowing, out on the back patio overlooking our own swimming pool private stretch of shoreline.  Perhaps it's really a good blend  of plan A and plan B. 


Does that make it an AB pattern?  Anybody have a kindergartner they can ask???  Anybody else have a plan B?

Love and salsa,
~Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment