Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

There are things I simply know I should stay away from.  Bartending for instance, would be a horrible career for me.  Did you see the Banger Sisters with Goldie Hawn and Susan Sarandon?  Let's just say I identified more with Goldie's character.  I am thankful to this day I did not get that job as a shooter girl.

Well, tonight was just one of those nights I thought I'd let bygones be bygones.  Try something I'd sworn off of more than 20 years ago.  I had my class...I really wanted a crock'd all inclusive dinner that would be ready when I got back home...I'm cooking lighter...those were my three big inspirations today.  Big mistake.  Really big.  Huge, actually.

I have only made 2 dinners in my entire adult life that were inedible.  The first was a meatloaf.  A healthy, good for you, meatloaf.  I know, I should have known better than to mess with comfort food, but I was young and impressionable.  It came out the color and consistency of cat food in a can.  Absolutely, inarguably disgusting.  The Fiance (the very same man as the present day The Hubs) and I ordered in a pizza.

Tonight, I made this lovely concoction.  Inedible Dinner #2.  And yes, that is a cookbook you see in the background.


So no, this evil doing was not from my own personal imagination.  

Which means somebody else thought it up, made it, ate it, believed it tasted good, and then Other People agreed it tasted good enough to include in a cookbook!  No, I'm not going to bash this cookbook, because the fish tacos and the zucchini nut muffins were pretty darn tasty.  I will make them again.  But The Hungry Girl's 300 Under 300 recipe for Cheeseburger Mac Attack is nasty, nasty, nasty.  Yes it does indeed look like a crockpot rendition of Hamburger Helper in her book's photo.  My husband has a soft spot in his heart for The Helper, so occasionally I indulge him.  Let's just say the boxed stuff is way better!

This is when I should have become suspicious, but I was clearly in denial...around mid-day I wandered out to the kitchen where my oldest son was and asked him...'What's that weird smell? Oh it must be the crockpot dinner'...chuckle, chuckle. 

His response?  'Mom, that does NOT BODE WELL for dinner, that even you think it smells weird'.  That kid made arrangements to eat at his cousin's house tonight where my sister in law was serving tri-tip.

So, what is the common denominator in these two dishes that even I wouldn't eat and smelled weird?  GROUND TURKEY.  I will not, let me repeat, will never, EV-ER, try to cook with it again.  Two times and shame on me, right?
I opened windows, cranked up the whole house fan, lit candles, put that nasty mess to rest in the garbage and hit up Submarina for some awesome sandwiches. 

Sometimes that's just how it rolls.





I think my trusty crockpot is happier now.  I'll have to make it up to her with a nice roast, or chili, or Italian Chicken...or ABOUT A THOUSAND OTHER RECIPES THAT DON'T INCLUDE GROUND TURKEY!!!

Don't let the turkeys get you down, (snicker snicker)
~Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment